365 days without shopping!

Let's be honest girls...we buy too many clothes. This year I have decided to put an end to my constant clothing consumption and re-invent, re-work and recycle my own wardrobe and the wardrobes around me. I will only wear clothes made by my own hands, exchanged / borrowed from a friend (or friendly stranger) or salvaged secondhand. And so starts my good fashion choices, even if I'm only making them for myself.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Prairie Top

     I know that my projects of late have been more 'alterations'  than anything new and exciting, believe me, my wardrobe is feeling it!
It's only February and I am already having Frequent Fashion Fatigue (or FFF for short). Fashion Fatigue is where you stand in front of your wardrobe for 20mins, in your bath towel, and can barely muster the energy to flick the coat hangers back and forth. Frequent Fashion Fatigue is where this happens everyday for over a month! Sound familiar or is this just me...?
Well my last episode was enough to motivate me to sew into the wee hours of the morning. I started this top at 3pm and finally finished it at 1:34am!
The pattern is Simplicity 3964 but be warned it is deceptively complicated! Luckily I had my sewing buddy Karina on hand for moral support. Credit is also due to my long suffering mother who eased in the front insert for me (while I sobbed in her lap).

 I have been sewing with Karina for years now and every time we get together, I end up finishing in the first hour, while she perfects every seam till we both wanna throw her project out the window. The roles were quite reversed in this case and I sent Karina home early so she wouldn't see the dark side of my sewing. I just couldn't go to bed till I had a new top!

Look out for her gorgeous gold skirt in my next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment